Monday, November 3, 2008

Realtors' jobs on the line

I hear every day that, as the real estate market spirals downward, the need for Realtors or the demand for Realtors is dropping too. I have survived through bad markets before and others like me know a secret: Bad real estate markets are GOOD for busy Realtors.
Here are some truths:
1. In a market where it is hard to sell a house, consumers will seek professional help to give them an edge.
2. Longer market times and a highly motivated seller make it easier to charge in the higher end of your commission spectrum, whatever that is.
3. Millions of people will move this year in the U.S. who have equity in their house and NEED to move (divorce, transfer, marriage, more kids, retirement, etc).
4. In a bad market, tens of thousands of Realtors will leave the business ... and that's good for those who stay.
This market is awful to so many BUT it is an opportunity for full-time, professional Realtors to solidify their base, reset their commissions and GROW their business.
I mentor and coach many U.S. agents and the advice I am giving is: Rethink the market and shift your perceptions -- your job is on the line.
Chris Hoare
Realtor
Royal LePage Performance Realty
Realtors'Ottawa, Canada

No comments: